Tags: backup, backups, clone, created, database, incarnation, machine, mysql, older, online, oracle, previous, recover, resetlogs, restore, sql
restore/recover to previous incarnation
I'm trying to test the backups.
I did created a database clone on a machine, and I did RESETLOGS.
I've older full online backup of the database prior to the RESETLOGS, so I did
RESTORE DATABASE TAG='xxxxxxxxx';
Restore worked without any issues.
But when I try to RECOVER,
RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL SEQUENCE 235,
it checks only for the logs for the current incarnation, and fails at the last archived log of the current incarnation.
Is it possible to restore the database to the previous incarnation?
And does the SCN numbers continue from the older incarnation to the new incarnation of the database?
Leave a comment...
- 6 Comments
- Can you tell me whats the error message you are getting?
Looks like you have miised one step before start restore.
Please do the as follows
1. Restore the spfile.
2. Restore the controlfile
3. Set until sequence 235
4. restore database
5. recover database
Vignesh Bala#1; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:27:00 GMT
Maybe this can be helpful
Adith#2; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:28:00 GMT
- >> Is it possible to restore the database to the previous incarnation?
Yes, Why not?
>> And does the SCN numbers continue from the older incarnation to the new incarnation of the database?
What do you mean by saying this ?
Alok#3; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:29:00 GMT
- To restore to a old incarnation if you have a recovery catalog then it is straight forward.
If you are using a a control file it will involve some playing with the RC_ views.
But I think your problem is different from this. If you can restate your problem with more clarity it would be useful.#4; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:30:00 GMT
- Hi, your response was tantilizingly brief. I'm using 10g and attempting to reset the database to a previous incarnation using a controlfile -- not a recovery catalog. I have the necessary backups in the previous incarnation to do this. How can playing with the RC_views help me accomplish this? The manuals don't give very detailed instructions to do this in NOCATALOG mode. Any help would be much appreciated.#5; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:31:00 GMT
- Would please give a link or steps about how to do that.
Thanks#6; Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:32:00 GMT