Tags: 10g, database, dbconsole, helloafter, installing, instance, machine, mysql, oracle, professional, sql, unable, windows
Unable to start DBConsole
After installing Oracle 10g on an Windows XP Professional, the machine name had to be changed.
After that, I am able to get the instance started and after changing the TNS defintions, the TNS Lister process also starts.
But the DBConsole service is failing to start. I have a feeling it may have to do with the machine name change. Can somebody advise me on how I can start this service?
Leave a comment...
- 10 Comments
- Are you able to connect to the database from SQL*PLUS using a net service name?#1; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:50:00 GMT
- could you paste the error code here!#2; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:51:00 GMT
- Yes, I can.#3; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:52:00 GMT
- This is the message that pops up after it fails to start the process:
Windows could not start the OracleDBConsoleSpotfire on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 2.
When I reviewed the System Event Log, I see the following error:
The OracleDBConsoleSpotFire service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2).
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Thanks for your help.#4; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:53:00 GMT
- I have an error starting dbconsole after a new install on XP pro. I tried two installs, various restarts, manual process starts and emctl starts with no joy. I have a second XP machine and did another install there with identical results. Does anyone have a fix for this yet?#5; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:54:00 GMT
- This is going to roll and roll!
I have exactly the same issue. My 10g install on XPPro worked well and I was able to get into the dbconsole for a number of boots.
However, when I created a new Home for iAS, the dbconsole failed to start.
Now, here's what happens!
1. In Install the emca creates a dbconsole home of localhost_orcl. This maps to a directory of the same name in your DB home.
2. However, at some point down the line, OEM decides that it now wants to use my HOSTNAME which is CBLAPTOP, so when you start the dbconsole it tries to find %ORACLE_HOME%\CBLAPTOP_orcl etc....
3. I have tried removing the dbconsole setup with emca and recreating with emca -r , but this does not help either....
Someone should have sorted this by now!
Chris#6; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:56:00 GMT
- From the %ORACLE_HOME%/bin directory start the dbConsole
>emctl start dbconsole#7; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:57:00 GMT
- I am also having this same problem. I took the advice of the last posting and executed:
"<ORA_HOME>\bin\emctl start dbconsole" at the command line. It first told me that the ORACLE_SID environment variable was not defined. After setting ORACLE_SID I tried this again and got the following error:
OC4J Configuration issue. C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole_220.127.116.11.orcl not found.
Any ideas why this error occurs? My database name and SID are ORCL. It seems strange that the backward slashes(\) in the error path above become forward slashes(/) halfway through the error.
Kevin#8; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:57:00 GMT
- Have you tried to look into:
if exists a directory that looks like:
C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole_<your server name>.orcl
If so you have a problem with name resolution.
Francesco#9; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 03:59:00 GMT
- okay how annoying is this problem...but here's a nasty hack to try to get things to work.
use dbca to reconfigure your database, in my case i had to uncheck and recheck using enterprise manager to manage my db.
open up a command prompt (start->run..->cmd) in winxp and type "emctl start dbconsole"
this should give you some output about your enterprise manager and allow your enterprise manager to work (read the output carefully, the EM port may have changed mine changed to 5502). you may have to type "SET ORACLE_SID=yoursid" if it complains about sid not being set.
i think a better method for us laptop users would be to create a loopback device and give it a domain name so everytime we connect wirelessly we won't have this problem. you can read more about this here:
hope this helps.#10; Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:00:00 GMT